Ogbono (Ground Ogbono: Buy it in UKR|RUS|PLN in EUR) Soup otherwise called Draw Soup makes eating Fufu Recipes so natural in view of its slimy nature which assists the with lumps of fufu slide down. On the off chance that your friends don't like Okra Soup as a result of the lumps of Okra, then try Ogbono Soup, they will without a doubt love it.
A lot of people like their Ogbono soup plain, with no included vegetables, others would not touch it unless there is some sort of vegetable in it. A third group of people love their Ogbono Soup with
Okra. A few individuals even go fancy and add Egusi (Ground Egusi: Buy it in UKR|RUS|PLN in EUR) to it.
Ingredients for Ogbono Soup
Assorted Meat and Fish: Beef, Shaki, Dry Fish, Stock Fish
2 handfuls Ogbono Seeds/ Ground Ogbono
3 cooking spoons red palm oil (Red palm oil: Buy it in UKR|RUS|PLN in EUR )
Vegetable: Frozen Spinach (you can also use Pumpkin leaves or even Bitterleaf)
1 handful crayfish
Pepper and Salt (To taste)
1 medium onion
2 stock cubes (Maggi Star/Knorr)
Before you cook Ogbono Soup
- Grind the Ogbono with a dry mill or use Ground Ogbono.
- Cut the frozen spinach when it is not completely defrosted. It is easier that way. Then when completely defrosted, squeeze out the excess water.
- Cook the assorted meat with the stock cubes and onion. If you will use Shaki, remember to start cooking that first, then add beef when almost done.
- Grind crayfish and pepper.
- Boil some water and set aside.
Cooking Directions for Ogbono Soup
- Pour the palm oil into a clean dry stainless steel or aluminium pot. Set on the stove and melt the oil at low heat. Remember, only melt the oil, do not allow it to heat up.
- Once melted, turn off the heat and add the ground Ogbono.
- Use your cooking spoon to dissolve the Ogbono in the oil.
- When all the Ogbono powder has completely mixed with the oil, add the meat/fish stock (water from cooking the assorted meat and fish). Set the heat of your cooker to low and start stirring. You will notice the Ogbono start to thicken and draw.
- Keep stirring till the Ogbono has completely absorbed the meat stock.
- Add a small quantity of the hot water and stir till the Ogbono has absorbed all the water. Repeat this process till you get a consistency that is shown in the video below.
- Making sure that your heat is set to low, cover the pot and start cooking. Once it starts to simmer, stir every 2-3 minutes for 20 minutes.
So what you'll do is: every 3 minutes or so, open the pot, stir every well, scraping the Ogbono that sticks to the base of the pot, cover the pot and cook for another 3 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, the Ogbono should be well cooked and you will begin to perceive its nice flavour and aroma.
- Add the assorted meat and fish, ground crayfish, salt and pepper to taste. The Ogbono may have become thicker from the cooking. If so, add a little bit more water and stir very well. Cover and cook till the contents of the pot is well heated up.
- If you prefer your Ogbono Soup without vegetables, turn off the heat and serve but if you like to add a vegetable then keep reading
- When the contents of the pot have heated up, add the vegetable (frozen Spinach used in the video). Stir very well, cover the pot and turn off the heat. Leave to stand for about 5 minutes and serve with any Fufu recipe/Kasha Manna/Eba/Pounded Yam
One of the main reason why your Ogbono Soup does not draw is that you fried it before adding the meat/fish stock. The ground Ogbono should only be dissolved in the palm oil NOT fried. The more you fry it, the more it loses its drawing ability till you've got no potency left. This happens even if it is the authentic Ogbono seed.